Given that I only had 1 week's notice to write a 5-8 minute speech on top of writing a 12 page term paper and everything else that went down I am feeling invincible!
I finally got my CS sweatshirt, as well as 300.00 in professional development money at Rice University. Not sure what I will do with it - but hey - professional development is a good thing, right?
*does happy triumphant dance*
Go Kris Go Kris
If you are one of my friends out here, I am celebrating my graduation at 7:30 at Mt Vernon Restaurant.
I would love to see folks on Sunday...
I have 2 job interviews Monday...wish me good luck...
I will be graduating with a Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction.
Lesley's graduation will be at the Bank of America Pavillion Saturday May 16 from 2pm - 4:30 pm. Somewhere around 7:30 my family and friends will be gathering at MT Vernon restaurant to celebrate. Let me know if you would like to join us!
I will be in town until Tuesday afternoon and would love to hang out with people!
1) Look at the list and put an 'x' after those you have read.
2) Add a '+' to the ones you LOVE.
3) Star (*) those you plan on reading.
4) Tally your total at the bottom.
1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen *
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien X+
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte X
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling X+
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee *
6 The Bible- X
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte X
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell *
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman X+
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens X
11 Little Women - Louisa M AlcottX+
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller X
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare * - I have read a good number of tragedies and comedies, but not all of them.
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien X+
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger X
19 The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot*
21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret MitchellX+
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald X
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams X+
26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28 Grapes of Wrath - John SteinbeckX+
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll X+
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame X+
31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis- X+though I read them in elementary school
34 Emma - Jane Austen *
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis X+
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini *
38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden X+
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne - X
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell-
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown- *
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery-X+
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan
51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel
52 Dune - Frank Herbert*
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen *
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens X
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley X+
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck- X
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov- *
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas *
66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding-
69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie*
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville X
71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens X+
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett *
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath X though I remember it not, I know I read it in high school
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
80 Possession - AS Byatt
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens – X+
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White - X+
88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle *
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery X+
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
94 Watership Down - Richard Adams X+
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas X+
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare X+
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl *
100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo*
34 for me. Though I must admit several I didn't like at all!
1. WORK - OMG - super busy - kinda stressful, but nowhere near as bad as last semester. I like my team, though struggle with a few of the students. One is super dependent and won't even read directions before whining for help, and another 2 think that they can do what they want and I will be okay with it. Argh. One of them convinced my campus director that they think that I am out to get them, but I can tell they are laughing at me, because to make her happy, I now have to be extra nice to him. That's ok - Nice gets annoying real fast - I will just be nice as I still hand out discipline referrals when he refuses to follow the rules.
2. School - ACK! super stressful OMG - 3 masters classes while working full time is 2 too many! Wish me luck - I REALLY want to graduate this semester
3. Fish - had a whole bunch die from a nasty parasite - being extra careful, and also limiting tanks to be more reasonable - anyone wanna fish tank? On the other hand, the dwarf crayfish are breeding and doing nicely. As are my yellow shrimp. Yay cool invertebrates.
4. Job searching- trying to decide what I want to do in between Citizen Schools once my fellowship is up in July. I want something else to do with my time before I apply to PhD programs in a couple years. I can't handle jumping right back into school - so I need something cool to do that pays an ok amount in a crappy economy... any ideas? Currently trying to score a job for Citizen Schools. Thinking of something involving education - I am not certified, but will have a masters degree...any thoughts?
I know the economy is tough, and I will not blame anyone at all for not helping out. But if you can spare even a dollar, that will count as a donation.
I will not waste anyone's friends space any longer for this, because I know that it would get annoying, so if you are curious about my progress in the future, I will post it as a reply to the original message with the widget. Thanks for reading this.
I need 2-3 more people – and my butt is on the line because I am the one planning the event. I emailed current organizations at UH, Rice and HBU but only found 3 groups.
I returned to microcenter to see if they had the netbook I was looking for in stock - which they didn't :(
I finally thought to tell the tech department about my problem, and they said they had just the right thing! A program called malware bytes is what they use to get rid of vundo on computers they service. They have already burned disks available for 2.99 for their time and trouble, so I took it home and voila! clean computer with no virus. I am so happy.
While I was looking at all of this tech stuff though - I ended up getting tech envy for a small computer that would be easy to travel with. I am so sick of pulling out a big laptop at airports and always dragging something heavy and awkward with me. So I saw an ad at Microcenter for an Acer Aspire one netbook for only 299.00(120gb) - though when I got there the one for 329.00(160 gb) was better with a bigger battery and harddrive. However upon talking with a friend of mine, I found they had another model of it with an 8gb solid state hard drive for 299.00 at frye's
Now I swore never to shop at frye's again after how I was treated at the South Houston store, but the sales staff at the only one to have the color I want in stock has saved that company in my eyes. I took home my new netbook (only 2 lbs - it's so cute I hugged it!) and I got to visit with Diane and yay!
So that is the state of Kris and computers. How are you doing?
They are looking to hire 6-7 part time team leaders. It would be as an after school program teacher - you would help students improve their grades, teach limited academic subjects, take them on field trips, etc. This program is not your average graham crackers and basketball programs - it is a highly engaging program that keeps students motivated and focused on success.
Check out the website at www.citizenschools.org and feel free to email me or comment if you have any questions. Hours are approximately 2:30 - 7:00 M-TH, with another 1 hour spent on the weekly team meeting (varies by campus) and some other prep time at home for about 20+ hours a week. The pay is 12.00 an hour, working with middle school students.
Your result for The Languages Test...
100% French! 100% German! 100% Italian! 100% Spanish! 80% English!
Look at the percentages above. The higher those percentages the higher your basic knowledge of those languages. Getting higher than %0% on any of these languages is great - it means you got at least 3/5 of the questions for that language correct!
power is up at our place, if yours isn't feel free to stop by for a dose of AC, hot food and chit chat :)
I will be working from home for at least the next 2 days.
Still don't have internet, but not sure if that is because it is down or not because our computers are still not hooked up.
My fish fared fairly well. I was worried after going out for a few hours last night, because some of my friends have had high loss rates on their fish. So far I have lost my 3 tetras, a guppy, one of my florida blue crayfish, an amano shrimp, and one or more cherry shrimp. I am kind of sad about the crayfish, it was the second I have lost. The first was killed by its tank mates.
However, I am grateful for the low loss rate, and won't complain. I know how to count my blessings.
give us a call (if possible, if not, no worries) if you are stopping by...Diehl is there now, and I will be headed there shortly.
There's at least 1 person on your LiveJournal that wants to date you or sleep with you. So, let's play Friends With Benefits! (cue ominous music)
The rules are simple:
* If you want to date the person who posts this -- for this purpose, meaning "be in a relationship with them" -- post a comment saying "I'm yours."
* If you just want to sleep with the person and stay friends, post a comment that says "I'd hit it."
Are you scared? You ONLY live ONCE! The kicker is that you MUST repost this and see if it's true for you.
All responses will be screened. No one will ever know if you'd do me.
Except you. And me. Feel free to make more *interesting* comments too ;)
(NOTE: I assume the term "want to" in this case means "wouldn't mind if circumstances were favorable"...)
Your result for The RPG Class Test...
70% Combativeness, 40% Sneakiness, 88% Intellect, 64% Spirituality
Paladins are holy warriors. They are valorous defenders of the light. Unfortunately, most of them are so ardent in their defense they tend to meet sticky ends faster than you can say "rampaging red dragon." Many people look up to Paladins, while others just consider them stuck up, overbearing, or self-righteous.
Fortunately for you, unlike most Paladins, you're pretty smart. Which means that you're more likely to fall into the "admired" category, rather than the "obnoxious" or "dead" categories.
Much like the crusades, you manage to combine violence and religion, though unlike the crusades, you add a healthy does of intelligence. You may be a staunch defender of the faith, a valorous champion of the weak, or the stuff that jihads are made of. Which ever one you are, just be happy that you've got the smarts to back it up and make it work.
In it I have 3 freshwater clams, one blue "lobster", 9 lemon yellow cichlid fry, 2 peach cichlid fry, 2 pink convicts (fairly small) and 1 jewel chichlid. They are all getting along nicely for now...will post pictures later.
The 20 gallon is doing well, my fry are starting to show colors, but it seems that they will all be black and yellow guppies. I will likely trade some of these in for store credit. I bought one more male guppy and some cherry shrimp and a couple zebra shrimp (they all died last time). I am mad because one died on the way home.
I am really into these aquariums, but except for attaining more shrimp I am going to stop purchasing for a while (like several months) and just see how they do. The pink convicts will likely breed, and the guppies are breeding. I will just trade in the fry I no longer want. As it is, they have just dropped more fry today.
Edit - a few hours later
Apparently the tank has a pinhole leak. Didn't notice it until I had everything perfectly set up. My fish are going to hate me. So now I have to empty a 30 gallon tank and re-silicone it. I have no clue what I am doing, but I can't let it leak like that...
If you're on my friends list, I want to know 36 things about you. I don't care if we never talk, or if we already know everything about each other. Short and sweet is fine, as is long and descriptive! You're on my list, so I want to know you better!
1) Are you currently in a serious relationship?
2) What was your dream growing up?
3) What talent do you wish you had?
4) If I bought you a drink what would it be?
5) Favorite vegetable?
6) What was the last book you read?
7) What zodiac sign are you?
8) Any Tattoos and/or Piercings? Explain where.
9) Worst Habit?
10) If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a ride?
11) What is your favorite sport?
12) Do you have a Negative or Optimistic attitude?
13) What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me?
14) Worst thing to ever happen to you?
15) Tell me one weird fact about you.
16) Do you have any pets?
17) What if i showed up at your house unexpectedly?
18) What was your first impression of me?
19) Do you think clowns are cute or scary?
20) If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be?
21) Would you be my crime partner or my conscience?
22) What color eyes do you have?
23) Ever been arrested?
24) Bottle or can soda?
25) If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with it?
27) What's your favorite place to hang at?
28) Do you believe in ghosts?
29) Favorite thing to do in your spare time?
30) Do you swear a lot?
31) Biggest pet peeve?
32) In one word, how would you describe yourself?
33) Do you believe/appreciate romance?
34) What is your current favorite song?
35) Do you believe in God?
36) Will you repost this so I can fill it out and do the same for you? (Link Me)